The situation is thus, should the cupboards be used for storage there would be no control over the materials placed in them. We would expect common sense to prevail, but in these situations you cannot rely on that.
Somebody stores a material that produces a thick toxic smoke when heated.
Tragically a fire breaks out and there is smoke inhalation during the evacuation. The nature of the toxins in the smoke causes brain damage in an infant who was evacuated.
Because the material was stored in a common part, RMG and the Directors would be on the hook for it. I am sure I do not need to elaborate further.