Home Forums General Discussion Aircraft Noise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Just moved into Rope St in October and noticed this week it seems very noisy with low flying aircraft. Is it just me or am I being over sensitive to planes flying overhead?

Does anyone know if there is a regular pattern of flight path changes over Rope street and Rainbow quay e.g. every two weeks?

Regards

Steve

imported_post

Morning Steve,

I suppose the aircraft noise does take some getting used to.  We are right below the flight corridor for Heathrow so there is always a certain amount of noise.  On a positive point its certainly not as intense as it is in Richmond.  Anyway I thought the following link might give you more information.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow+noise%5EGeneral%5ENoise+in+your+area%5EAircraft+tracks/e068255eefa53210VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

Regards
      Simon

imported_post

Good evening,

Does anyone here noticed there has been some helicopters flying relatively low around in the area almost every late evening.

I have heard it around 10-11pm, sometimes in the early hours of 2-3am. Initially I thought it was a police chase, however, nothing has appeared on the news.

I have phoned the council, which they say have no control of air traffic.

Could somebody please look into this? Many thanks.

Frank

imported_post

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23974044-police-helicopter-noise-blights-our-lives-say-west-end-residents.do

You may wish to refer to the above link. If as I suspect it is a police helicopter using its infra red or whatever to track suspected criminals then I have no complaints.

imported_post

Good evening,

It happened again post after mid-night as I am writing. I initial thought of the police too, but it does seem rather too often, and I don't recall this happened at such frequency before.

As if there is somebody is commuting on a regular basis just around these hours in this area.

Good night.

Frank

imported_post

With all the riots of the last few days the air traffic has been higher than usual.

imported_post

Hi Simon,

I know what you mean, but as I have said in previous post, that I noticed this have only just been going on since late Jun, before the riots. While I have been living here for a good few years.

Frank

imported_post

I suggest you take up the matter with the regulator, namely the civil aviation authority http://www.caa.co.uk/.  This is not a matter that the board will follow up.

imported_post

You may be interested in the following link. http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=7&pagetype=68&gid=295
      Informations sheets 5 and 6 are the relevant sheets. Sheet 6 clearly states that helicopters can operate at any hour. However if you think the helicopter is flying to low that may be grounds for complaint if you can tell exacly what height its flying.

also for written evidence to the London Assembly on helcopter noise see the following link.

legacy.london.gov.uk/assembly/reports/…/helicopter_noise_evidence.pdf

imported_post

I think you are right. There has definitely been a change in the Heathrow flight pattern over-head. I have only just started to make an effort to try to monitor it but perhaps the aircraft are now flying lower over south east London or there are just many more of them but it seems impossible to find a time during the *entire* day when either the whine of a small aircraft or the drone of a large one is not oppressively, or annoyingly  audible! Just as one is on the brink of out of range, another comes in. I am sure this was not the case say 3 months ago. I have frequently been disturbed by an aircraft overhead around 4:30am, then another around 5am, then 20minute to 10minute intervals for the rest of the early morning and then flights overhead at around 3 minute intervals during the rest of the day (I can only vouch for the weekends on that) till late at night.

imported_post

There has always been aircraft coming over at 4.30am since I moved to the South Dock area 10 years ago. You can check out on Teletext where they are coming from and their arrival time at Heathrow. It used to be Singapore or somewhere in the Far East. Whenever I am flying into Heathrow, I invariably look down and see Rainbow Quay, five minues before landing.

Have to admit that I am not bothered by the airplanes, it is more like the helicopters that drive me to distraction.

imported_post

Thanks for that, maybe the weather or  seasonal atmospherics are having an impact of late. I guess the best hope for a permanent noise reduction is an increase in approach angle to Heathrow from the current 3 degrees to 4, pushing the aircraft higher over us.. The noise reduces as the the square of the distance so a relatively  small increase in altitude  will have a large effect on noise. City airport has a 7 degree approach and I do not have a problem with those aircraft, although they are mostly going away from rainbow quays and are either turbo-props or so called “whispa” jets which are quiet by their design.

The helicopters are definitely louder nuisance , but thankfully less frequent. I guess having a heliport 1km across the river doesnt help and given that helicopters take off using the so called “dead man's curve” which means they need to stay at low altitude until they gather sufficient air speed to survive an engine failure could explain why they seem to hang around overhead  longer than would otherwise seem necessary.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.