Home Forums General Discussion Composting question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Since we have the new food waste bins I wondered about the compost in the garden? Will we still use it?

imported_post

I'd be interested to know where the food waste bins are. I'm at 1 South Sea Street and I don't have access to any…

imported_post

Sometime last year every flat was left one of those little brown food waste bins to keep inside along with a supply of recycling bags. I think you can order a new bin here if you didn't receive one https://forms.southwark.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=728

We then have the large brown wheely bins in the main bin stores for you to drop the recycling bags into when full. I'm sure somebody will be able to post exactly where your nearest one is – but down Rope Street we seem to have them in every other bin store.

imported_post

Thanks James.
      I got the small brown bin and bags, but there is no wheely bin in the main bin store.
      At least not one in my block. And that's the only one I can access. I've emailed the building manager, but she said it's a Southwark Council issue… emailed them twice from the beginning of December and got no reply.
      A couple of weeks ago I bumped into volunteers from the council asking for feedback on the food waste collection and I told them about the missing wheely bin… they suggested I email the council. Feels like going round in circles. 🙂

imported_post

I have had a look in the bin stores and there are brown bins in the left bin stores (looking at them) of both 100 and 101 Rope Street. These have the same code as all other bin stores, so you do have access.  I do not know why the council has not put them in 1 South Sea or at 7 RQ.  This may be deliberate as perhaps the lorry does not collect down South Sea Street.

If you contact the council they should be best placed to help, as this initiative has nothing to do with the buildings manager or their agent.

imported_post

Thanks SF, that's very useful information!

imported_post

I contacted the council and the brown garden bins are for both food and garden waste. Is it possible for one to be marked for food recycling in particular? Not all the lids fit the bases properly and in the aummer this will be an issue with flies.

imported_post

The compost we get from the open bins is really useful on the garden – Each year we also buy some in.But please note the difference. The compost bins are for uncooked vegetable matter only. No bread, cheese, meat or cooked vegetables. This is to avoid attracting vermin. However please go on using them. We also use them for green waste from the garden of course.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.