Home Forums General Discussion Elson Coral E 210ltr Water Heaters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Hi,Anybody changed their water heater for an equivalent,if so how does it compare both economically on usuage and installation wise?

Can anyone recommend a local plumber for these I have been quoted circa £1500!to replace mine!

imported_post

I've used Ian Norton for general repairs to my Elson heater. I would recommend him as I thought he was professional and attentive.

Can I ask what your reasons are for changing – do let me know what you come up with as an alternative. It would be interesting to see what can be increased in terms of efficiency, etc.

R

imported_post

My Elson Coral water heater has been replaced by an unvented hot water storage unit by Gledhill with a 180 litre capacity.  My plumber has been looking after the Elson Coral for 3 years  but in March I noticed it was leaking.  It subsequently turned out that the foam insulating material inside the casing was saturated with water – no visible cracks so it was leaking via the joints.  My plumber was quoted £1,500 for a new Elson Coral tank (plus labour charges).  The Gledhill was about £800 (plus labour charges).  The door frame of the cupboard has to be removed to get the tank out so its not an easy option and needs 2 people because of the weight of the it. 

This tank  is stainless steel and is similar in construction to a vacuum flask.  It can only be installed by a suitably qualified plumber and has to have an annual maintenance check.  There is a helpful explanation on a website run by MODUS called 'Guide to mains pressure unvented water heating'. 

The new tank has not been in long enough for me to do any cost comparison.  What I have noticed is that the water is much hotter so I don't use so much.  The insulation is much better as there is no 'warmth' in the cupboard now.  And it doesn't make any noise when the electricity comes on.   

Hope this helps.

imported_post

I would like to respond to Shirley's comment. I had to survey an installation on the ground floor at 98 Rope Street, and it sounds very similar in the way that the door frame has to be cut out to remove the existing tank, the customer enquired about an unvented cylinder, but i could not see how i could run a discharge pipe to the outside wall or to a soil pipe via a special trap, as G3 regs required. so I priced for an Elson Unit.
      At the moment Elsons are selling at competitive prices and a supply and fit price including vat is coming in at around £ 1500.00, its just the discharge pipe which can cause a problem in some installations, but I'm glad you got it sorted,
      cheers ian

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.