Home Forums General Discussion Is EE Broadband any good in RQ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Hello, I am considering switch to EE Broadband, I am wondering what speed it can deliver in RQ? Many thanks.

imported_post

Hi Frank,

We are on EE, not out of active choice, but we have simply been migrated across over the years from Freeserve, over Wanadoo, to Orange, and then to EE.

As most lines in our area are Exchange Only (EO), I do not think there is too much difference in the speed you will achieve on a cobber line with any provider.

The best we have managed is around 1.6Mbps, but we are currently getting approx. 0.3 to 0.5Mbps, reminiscent of a dial-up connection of the olden days.

However, a lot depends on your individual set-up, so perhaps you will do better. Some people seem to have have achieved 2-3Mbps or more with various providers, or you may want to consider joining the current Hyperoptic initiative – please see: http://www.rainbowquay.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=300.0

It is likely to be years rather than months before we get fibre optic in our area, and I personally find this interactive map useful for an overview of the current status: http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=51.49608142830186&lng=-0.03656346429443147&zoom=15&type=terrain&speed-cluster&notspot

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

Frank, just to let you know I have had to move from Bethere to Sky and the service has dropped off slightly.  I have not changed so as  not to be tied into a new contract, as I feel sure I will get Hyperoptic.  The board has signed off on the project, I am just trying to clarify the legal position with the freeholder.  Once that last hurdle is cleared we can really get the ball rolling.  Might be a consideration before you commit to another 12 month contract.

Simon

imported_post

Hi Frank – just to reiterate what Tom has said, I am on Sky Broadband and only get about 2MBs at the fastest and evenings it can drop off significantly. I think that broadband is a lot like gas/electricity in that (so long as your service doesn't get throttled by the provider as you are on a restricted speed) the speed you can achieve is largely independent of the provider. Personally I'm all systems go for Hyperoptic assuming that the freeholder is ok with the installation.

imported_post

Thank you for all your replies.

I have been with Bulldog was 0.5Mbps, Sky was 2.5Mbps now TalkTalk 4.5Mbps. I am looking to switch because TalkTalk is putting up their prices and EE seems to be the most competitive at the moment.

Simon, why are you switching from Be? I thought they are quite good.

Many thanks.

imported_post

I didn't have any choice in the matter.  Sky bought Be and all its customers.  The service is for all intense and purpose the same (3.4Mbps) down but the upload is lower at 500Kbps, with Be it was 760Kbps.  I would rather not be a sky customer and if it were not for the fibre project then I would switch.  Not sure how well they perform round here but I have used Plus.Net elsewhere and they offered a good service.

Simon

imported_post

“…3.4Mbps…”

“…4.5Mbps…”

Still speeds that many of us can only dream of… :'(

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.