Home Forums General Discussion Planning applicatio – Solar PV

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Hi. I would like to notify everyone that I am applying for planning permission to fit solar PV panels on the roof. They would be on the Rope Street frontage at the West end adjacent to the corner turret. Please inform me if you have any objection, preferably before you respond to the Council's notification.
      Thanks,
      Chris Todhunter

imported_post

Hi Chris,I have some questions regarding this subject.Is the planning for solar panels to be for the provision of solar power solely for your apartment or wider use? As I understand it the roof is part of the common structure to which all Leaseholders are subject to the cost of maintenance etc and that permissions of use of any part of the common parts may be setting a precedent for others who may wish to do similiar or other projects for their benefit in other parts of the development.

I have in mind that when I purchased our apartment we enquired about utilising part of the space above the bin stores at the raised ground floor level in Rope street and offered to purchase this  unused space and was informed that it would not be possible to grant any use of this common facility.

We had in mind to place a light tunnel unit to introduce natural light into our windowless kitchen,perhaps you can clarify if we were misinformed or it is afterall purely a discretionary thing?

The problems we encountered was public liability,maintenance,precedents etc and whilst  I have no personal objection and indeed would support your attempts to provide solar energy whether for personal or public use,I would like to hear the definitive answer to my query.

imported_post

This is a feasibility study which is to explore the implications of renewable energy initiatives at Rainbow Quays.
      Planning, as you know, takes some time to process. The management company and the freeholder have been informed that the planning application has been made.
      The roof is in the demise of the management company and not in my control. But it would seem a good thing if we can enable initiatives of this sort to happen so let's explore the implications.
      I am preparing a case to put to the Management Company (and after that to the freeholder). This will enable the Board to consider all the implications and to formulate a policy.  If you have views on the social and legal aspects I would be very glad to receive them. Better still if you would like to pop round and talk about it.
      The next board meeting is in April.

imported_post

Ok,So this is a feasability study for the possible future benefit for the whole community,so I assumme the cost of the application is being funded  through the service charge? Only the application seems to suggest it was a personal application?

I assumme there are minutes of the meeting where the subject was discussed,perhaps we could see these or do we wait until the application has been processed to take a view or will we not have the opportunity to vote on this ,as I understand it non board members are only allowed to sit in on board meetings as observers?

Perhaps you could clarify this?

imported_post

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that this is a community based project, or that it would be funded out of the service charge. 

It is a personal application for planning permission by Chris.  As part of the process he will have to table the application to the board.  I should imagine this will occur after the decision by the council.  The council considers the opinions of those parties who have a view as part of the planning process.

Hope that clarifies the matter for you.

ATB
      Simon.

imported_post

Thanks Simon,I had the impression it was a personal application but it wasnt that clear from the original post,hence my asking the question,particularly as I had an interest in being able to use common parts of the building for my own benefit.

The reply further confused me with the talk of feasability studies for the benefit of all at Rainbow Quays,therefore my response.

Since you have taken an interest Simon perhaps you could answer the second part of my query regarding being invited to discuss issues at the Board meeting as I said I was under the impression from earlier pronouncements that this was only possible as observer?

imported_post

I believe Chris is keen to hear others views on the issue and included an open invitation to our next board meeting that has been pencilled in for the 7th April.  I think this may have to be changed as we have some clashes, however I will certainly put the date on the forum.

Personally I am uncomfortable with the whole issue of communal areas being used by individuals, I would welcome a much broader range of views on this matter.

I hope that answers your questions.  I will post the date of the next meeting in this thread when I have it confirmed.

All the best
      Simon.

imported_post

Thanks for your input Simon,I presumme meetings are still held in the Chair's flat ,which of necessity is limiting,I was wondering if the invitation to the board meetings which  include offers to Shareholders to attend, would be perhaps better held in a more formal venue and I know a few rooms are available nearby which are offered FOC .

The other point is I know the Directors make announcements on the Web site from time to time and I was wondering if these could be enhanced with Agendas and minutes of  Board meetings being published,as I believe was done as a 'highlight' in an announcement back in September 2007.

This way at least shareholders are kept abreast of your deliberations on our behalf and decisions reached,rather than hearing much later after the event or annually at the AGM.I realise you have to make executive decisions which may not be agreed with by all but openess may prove to be in everyone interests.
      Your thoughts would be appreciated.

imported_post

We have got a date for the next management meeting, that being Wednesday May 5th.  Provisionally at the Chairs flat.  I will remind him about the planning app. and see if this is on the agenda and if he wants to open the invite to those wishing to express a view.

On your other points.  I am all for openness and transparency.  However I am sure you can see from the posts on the forum that I am pretty much the only board member who participates on here.  I keep the website updated and have been responsible for the new format water billing so that its clearer for all.  Posting minutes is a good idea but often we discuss aged debtors and it would be inappropriate for this to be posted on the net.  I really don't have the motivation to edit the minutes for the forum. If the items are in a format that is easily ported with no editing then I shall try to get them up in the relevant section.

We can always do with more help on the board so I would suggest that if your interest extends that far, you should consider joining. 

Also it would be useful to know what FOC rooms are available for future reference, so please do share that with us.

All the best

Simon.

imported_post

Sorry I have not been following this correspondence.
      Yes this subject will be on the agenda for the board meeting in May. I would like it to be clear that I just want to explore the issues around this and have not got any ambitions either way.
      The issues, it seems to me are under four headings: Moral, Legal, financial and technical, and they are interlinked. The board will have a paper on the subject which will be considered and modified by them and we will then put it into the public domain on this forum.
      As for opening up the board meetings; the discussions we have are often sensitive and it would be better for any topic of general interest to be summarised and to appear here, rather than aired in public. In other words I agree absolutely with Simon. New members of the board are welcome.
      Chris T

imported_post

Hi Simon,FOC [Free of Charge] Re Open board meetings,if not minutes,perhaps notification of meetings with Agendas and the opportunity to raise topics/concerns for discussion under 'Any other Business' would be useful.

Thanks for the invitation to apply to join the board,however unfortunately will be overseas for extended periods in the near future. Regards

imported_post

😀  I know what FOC means, I wanted to know where these rooms were. 

I will see what we can do about the agenda's. I am happy to bring up AOB inquiries although you could always send these to our directors email address and we can slot them in. Often there isn't much time between me getting the agenda and the meeting being held.

ATB

Si.

imported_post

I think having an “AOB” section on the website would be a useful idea.  As simon said, if a resident does email the directors via the email address, we all receive this and will deal with concerns raised via this email as well.

One of the things that I think sets RQ apart from many developments of this size is this website. I don't know of such a site being available for any other of my friends who own other apartments in the area.

All the best,

Russ

imported_post

To let you all know – under the heading 'Solar energy Policy' the board had a discussion based on a report written by me. Here is the (draft) minute reorindg the discussion:
      The directors considered that the roof was classified as 'common parts' and it would not be appropriate to permit any individual leaseholder to make personal use of it. On that basis CT's suggestion was unacceptable.
      If in the future electricity supply was to become unreliable, and renewable energy more economical, it might be that a communal supply system would be worth considering. How this might be funded was an open question.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.