Home Forums General Discussion Shower replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the 'RQ standard' Bramham shower mixer, please?  Preferably a fixed plus separate shower head combo.  Part of the challenge is that the pipe centre appears to be 140mm against an industry standard of 150mm, although there are some adjustable models out there.

Next, is the replacement itself a doable DIY job, or do we need a plumber in?  If so, can anyone recommend one, please?  We have used Ian Norton from our recommended list (http://rainbowquay.co.uk/Contacts.html) a couple of times in the past and to great success, but only for the Elson Coral boiler.

Also, some shower mixers are only suitable for certain water pressure systems but not for others.  Can anyone please enlighten me as to the 'classification' of our water system:  E.g. is it “low pressure gravity”, “high pressure with combination boiler”, “high pressure unvented”, or perhaps something completely different?

Thank you very much.

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

Hi Tom – I don't know on the technical issues, but Ian replaced the mixer part a couple of years ago. I remember the (seemingly simple) part was horrifically expensive at something like a couple of hundred pounds. Seems it includes a mechanical thermostat or something to control temperature and the water mix.

imported_post

Thank you very much, James.

I am still hopeful someone might know what kind of water system we have at RQ, please, as between e.g. low pressure gravity, mains pressure combination boiler, mains pressure unvented, or even 'cold mains'…?  I freely admit I do not know and realise I have not had any particular reason to know until now.

It sounds like in your case the plumber managed to track down a Bramham shower cartridge/valve spare part. I have come across them in my search, and they do indeed retail around the £250 mark, which also seems to be the average price of a half-decent new shower, so that is where I am currently looking.

Kind regards

Tom

imported_post

Hello Tom, I am no expert but I will try and help. 

Low pressure gravity relies on water stored at height that then 'pours' through the household system.  Think water tank in the loft, so not us.  The original elson water heaters are of a open vented design fed with mains pressure water, according to the manual.

Thus the shower is mains fed via open vented electric heater.

Hope that helps.

All the best
      Si

imported_post

Hi Simon,

You are an absolute star, as always! The main distinction for the purposes of replacement showers is between low and high pressure systems, and I will now go with “high/mains pressure vented” – but obviously will not hold you responsible.

I suspect this is something we shall all have to go through as the Bramham showers (and there has been one in each of the three RQ flats I have occupied since 1999) come to the end of their lifespan; hence this bit of know-how sharing.

The whole thing would be relatively easy if you could just pick one and have it installed, but 99% of shower mixers come with the industry standard 150mm pipe centre, whilst ours is 140mm, which does limit your options quite considerably.

Kind regards

Tom

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.