Home Forums General Discussion Smoking out of windows or on balconies – summer months.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

With hot weather and day and night open windows on its way, I would like to raise a discussion about smoking on balconies or out of open windows.

Whilst for the smoker it excludes some of the noxious smells from their living spaces, I imagine they are unaware of how they can be infecting those of others as a direct result.

Given the nature of the problem it is hard to pinpoint the source of cigarette smoke, making a direct appeal to the parties  concered impossible or impractical.

What do people think ?

Calum.

imported_post

Well, living on the ground floor I guess we are not quite as badly affected by the smoke itself, however I spent quite a lot of time last year picking up the “leftovers” which smokers are only too happy to throw out their window and onto our balcony area in the back.

Personally, I think it's disgusting but as you say it's virtually impossible to determine the identity of the culprit (unless anyone fancies camping out with a camera)….

imported_post

Being a (top floor, dock-facing, mainly indoor, and occasional) smoker myself, I still have great sympathy for the last two posts whilst personally dreading slightly more the sustained nuisance sometimes caused by BBQ fumes and loud music from lower floors (as well as from nearby boats).

I do not have the solution but, in particular, do not think banning any of the activities in question is feasible in practice. If I felt particularly strongly about it, I would probably try to identify the exact source of the problem and then see what I might achieve through a direct, polite appeal.

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

I'm pretty certain the best approach would be a polite and neighbourly appeal. It certainly wouldn't be possible to ban smokers from smoking on their balconies, I feel.

imported_post

I agree – on both counts.

imported_post

Cigarette butt dropping is littering and *should* be stopped, moreover an unextinguished butt can generate smoke for a surprisingly long time after it is thrown.

I think there is already a ban on hanging washing on balconies; if that can be proscribed I dont see why smoking cant. But that's not what I am suggesting as I really hope it shouldn't come to that.

Maybe I could suggest just some official  “smoke-awareness” postings on the notice boards so that if  one *can* trace the source to the guilty parties there is something to use as justification for the complaint so they dont take it personally, which is always the danger.

Calum.

imported_post

Just to correct you.  The hanging of washing on the balconies is not something that has been banned.  As far as I am aware it is stipluated in the lease that it should not be done.

I agree with all the posts on this issue.  Its a case of appealing to people to be considerate.  In a lot of instance this is like trying to get blood from a stone. However,  I think the posters idea is a good one and I shall visit that with the other board members at our meeting next week.  In the very least it raises the awareness of the issue.

Regards
      Simon.

imported_post

It isn't the smoke which is the problem, we have lots of space around us and it's not a few cigarettes which are going to pollute the atmosphere but IT IS THE BUDDS WHICH NEED TO BE ADDRESSED….WE FIND THEM EVERYWHERE ON THE STEPS, ON THE BALCONIES, ON THE SIDEWALKS…LET'S CLEAN UP AND BUY SOME ASHTRAYS!
      Fancoise
      7 Rainbow!

imported_post

Agree with Francois, there are both responsible smokers and irresponsible smokers. Any posters should target the latter group, on the point of littering.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.