Home Forums RQ Board Announcements STORAGE IN THE GARAGE – BICYCLES AND OTHER THINGS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Notice to all residents from the Residents’ Board of Directors.

As your elected representatives on the Management Company, we are concerned at the amount of stuff which is being put into the garage. It is being widely used to store unused things. The terms of the first schedule to your lease states that:

3. (The lessee is) Not to use the parking space for any purpose other than the parking of a vehicle having a current road license

A related problem is that some people are still storing their bicycles in the stairways. This matter has been twice debated at annual general meetings and there is clear agreement among the residents that bicycles must be kept in the garage because they damage the paintwork in the halls and bring in dirt, and it is disagreeable to walk past a heap of bicycles to get into your flat.

Our feeling is that the garages should be cleared of items which have been stored in residents’ parking spaces except for cars and bicycles.
      They tend to go on accumulating, make the garage look messy and provide nesting places for vermin. 

However we do recognize that anyone who has a good bicycle may still be concerned about locking it in the garage in plain view, even though the security has been very much improved. Determined thieves are able to break in to anything. We have been considering allowing any resident who wishes to do so to fix a metal box of an approved neat design for bicycle storage in their own parking space. In that way there would be a just few parking spaces with bicycle storage boxes and the rest of the garage could be kept clear.

We would like to hear your views on this subject before we instruct the managing agent, and over the next seven days, there will be an open forum discussion on the web site – http://www.rainbowquays.co.uk . Alternatively email your views to directors@rainbowquay.co.uk. We hope you will take this opportunity to make your views known.

imported_post

In response to the issue.
      As an east block resident, I have absolutely no problem with any of the items stored in the garage in peoples bays.
      We live in nice flats, but with generally poor storage for items / packaging that are seldom used but not disposable.
      I think it is unreasonable to create an issue for residents that doesn't need addressing.
      To cite rodent nesting opportunity sounds scary, but I have NEVER even seen a rat, or a mouse, in 11 years of living here, despite being on a dock side.
      The only home for rats in the east block garage would be in the ever increasing, and very poorly managed, heap of refuse that masquerades as 'recycling'. Some items sit there for up to 6 months. This dump is an eyesore, and a fire risk, and where the attention of the managing agents efforts should be directed. They should not be instructed to attempt to take action against residents under a clause in the lease that exists to prevent the dumping of vehicles, fly tipping and rubbish hoarding (as greets you upon entering the east block).
      Scott Lummes.

imported_post

Comment received from Derek Small (98 Rope St).
      “You requested comments on the bike storage question.

I would be favour of no cycles to be brought into the building although its bit late closing the stable door after the horse has bolted! Since the redecoration we have seen a complete staining of the stairwell at 98 Rope street and the carpets in the entrance lobby both front and rear are stained with oil and grease,thanks to the only cyclist who persists in bringing his bike into the flat,although he has refrained from chaining the cycle now to the stair railings.

You are welcome to see for yourselves the state the stairs are now in,worse than even before the redec.

The idea of allowing all garage owners to erect a store as is the case in the west block is fine if they do not park a car in front as this would start obstructing the access thoroughfare.

Would not the simplest solution be to cage the existing bike areas and give a combination lock for access,provide additional racks within etc.

I recall this being suggested a few years back at an AGM,I hope we do not have to wait a few more before this question is resolved as bikes hanging over the railings as is the case in the west block now and the infringing of the hanging of washing out on balconies and terraces is  making the building more like a Pepys estate building everyday.

Rant over hope you find it constructive!”

A resident from 96 Rope Street has erected a metal box garden shed in the West Garage. It is 8ft x 4 ft. This works fine if you only have bikes or motor bikes, but only leaves room for a very small car. Looking in the internet, it appears that 4 ft. is about the minimum size that you will get a garden shed so a smaller shed is not an option.

imported_post

Response to Scott:
      You are right that the recycling is allowed to lie around far too long. We will speak to the Managing agent and get it collected every three weeks without fail and in between if a large quantity suddenly appears there. About the rats and mice – sorry Scott but there has been a lot  of trouble with rats and mice; chiefly in the roof!

Reply to Derek Small:
      Feel free to remove the offending bike to the garage. We will get the cleaners to have a go at the walls and carpet.
      About the cage: 1. surprisingly expensive to make it solid and secure and 2. would possibly get into a great mess inside withold bikes and other rubbish and be difficult to clear. I don't recall any AGM resolving that cages should be erected, though it has certainly be discussed.

imported_post

Having had two expensive bikes stolen from the garage area under 98 Rope Street in the past 18 months (most recently 6 weeks ago) I agree something needs to be done. I have continued to store my bike in the garage area but can understand why cyclist are carrying their bikes to their flats.

One thing I have noticed and does not seemed to have been adressed is the number of cars driving in to the garage area and not stopping to wait for the doors to close. Whilst down there for an hour last week 5 cars drove in and only one waited for the doors to close – surly this is how the theives are getting in. I know there is a big sign that people are ignoring but maybe a mailing or poster on the message boards may help.

On the storage issue I totally agree with Scott, if kept neat and tidy and at one end of the individuals parking space then I do not see what the problem is. If this is to be banned then at least a recomendation of a standard storage 'shed' should be made. In the one bedroom flats there is very little storage space at all.

Cheers

Paul

imported_post

Hi Paul

I am very concerned that you say you have had a bike stolen in the last 6 weeks from the West Garage.  We as a board can only try and address security further if we are made aware that theft is occuring.  Did you report the theft to Wood Managment.  Also if you can give me the exact date of the theft then we can check the CCTV for that day to see if we can identify how entry, and subsequent exit occured.

Thanks
      Simon.

Having had two expensive bikes stolen from the garage area under 98 Rope Street in the past 18 months (most recently 6 weeks ago)
      Cheers
      Paul

imported_post

Hi,

Apologies all, as i have just returned from travels, and YES, indeed, I too now have the mice in my flat!

So I take the comment back about not ever seeing any. I was clearly wrong and it is an issue. They finally found me after 10 years!

The fact they apparently live in the roof however, doesn't mean residents shouldn't be allowed to make reasonable use of the garage space. Why live under a cardboard box in the cold when there's a toasty penthouse, with food nearby, in the roof?!

Surely efforts should be directed in pest control in the roof voids? Was there ever any access hatches fitted to enable this – a subject that was on the agenda many moons ago when i sat on the board? Is this in fact already happening? Sorry if I am very out of touch but now i am on the other side of the fence, as a resident, i have not been made aware of this project being carried out.

On the other matter regarding bikes, the sheer fact this issue is still debated after 10 years shows that all the solutions offered have been ineffective in eradicating the problem. I maintain my view that the best solution is brick built, steel gated, with integrated mortice locks / padlock, bike sheds be built in the corners of the garages. I know it's not cheap, and I don't even own a push bike, but if residents find the sight of bikes in stairwells that offensive – given no perspex protection fitted below the dado rail, then it's a cost to be budgeted for. Charge for keys. The number of locks littering the floor in the east block, that have been bolt cropped, is dismaying to say the least. I think some of them may even be ones the managing agent used to 'secure' bikes removed from the stairwells some time ago.

All the best,

Scott.

Response to Scott:
      You are right that the recycling is allowed to lie around far too long. We will speak to the Managing agent and get it collected every three weeks without fail and in between if a large quantity suddenly appears there. About the rats and mice – sorry Scott but there has been a lot  of trouble with rats and mice; chiefly in the roof!

imported_post

Just a note to say that my partner went down to find that all our property stored in the garage has now been moved over into the recycling area.

The storage capacity inside the flats is inadequate, and we must now look at throwing away our possessions.

I'm pretty upset to find out that if I don't own a car then under the terms of the lease I have no business being down in the garage.

Anonymous

We were upset to find  today that goods that we had stored neatly in our parking space had been removed to the the recycling area for disposal.

Under the Torts (Interference with goods) Act 1977 you would be liable for damages up to full replacement cost for goods which you have damaged, disposed of or destroyed if you do not have effective legal title to these goods.  Under section 12 you could remove these goods from your property if you have made reasonable efforts to trace and communicate with the owners of those goods.

We only became aware of the notice on the Rainbow Quays discussion forum and the bulletin board at the entrance to our building today when we found our goods had been removed.  Moreover these notices do not constitute reasonable effort to communicate with the owners.  Since you knew the parking spaces of all the individuals with items stored in the garage, a reasonable effort to trace and communicate with the owners of these goods would have included contacting the residents licensed to use those parking spaces individually.  This could have been done easliy by printing the same notice and placing it in mailboxes.

We have returned our goods to our parking space.  They will remain there until 3 August 2009 when we will terminate our residence and vacate our flat.  This is a reasonable amount of time to remove the items after the constructive notice that we received today.

imported_post

With regards the notification for this.  Letters were sent to all lease holders with 2 weeks notice prior to the expected date of clearance.  Prior to that a notice was sent to all flats seeking views on clearing the carpark.  A notice was also put on this forum at the same time and all notice boards.  There has been a period of at least 6 weeks notice given delays from the managing agent.  As far as I am aware that car park recycling area will be cleared today and it is very likely that any items moved back to parking bays will be cleared also.  Given that you are terminating your residence in August I can only assume that you rent.  Thus you need to address this issue with your landlord.  In the mean time I would encourage you to remove your items today.

Regards
      Simon.

Anonymous

We have never received any notice either to our flat or our mailbox about this and the first we knew about it was yesterday – hence our email to the directors and to this forum yesterday evening.  Also replying to our post on this forum at 7.24am to tell us that we had better move our possessions now from our parking bay or they will be disposed of TODAY is not adequate notice and frankly not very helpful.

The issue is not between our landlord and ourselves because our landlord is not interfering with our goods.  It is an issue between ourselves and whoever removes our goods illegally.  If any of our goods are disposed of we will be seeking damages from the directors/management company.

imported_post

I am not legally qualified but I am guessing that your claim for damages would some how supersede the following clause in the lease that you are a party too?

“ 3. (The lessee is) Not to use the parking space for any purpose other than the parking of a vehicle having a current road license”

First post in this thread dated 28th April 2009 'Storage in the garage'.

I hope you manage to resolve the issue with the managing agent.

All the best.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.