Home Forums General Discussion Communal Satellite System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

Hi,

I have recently purchased a flat in Block 6 and am interested in getting Sky HD. Having spoken to Sky they say that the communal system must have “double connection points”.  Does anyone know if our “upgraded” system is compatible? 

Does anyone actually have Sky HD or Sky+ installed in their flat?

I've contacted the management company, but thought I would double check on here too.

Thanks,

Russell Bingham

imported_post

Hi,

I seem to recall the board did look into the sky+ issue some time prior to my appointment.  I will see if I can find out some more information with regards to that and get back to you.

All the best
      Simon.

imported_post

Simon,

Thanks for looking into this.

Kind regards,

Russ

imported_post

Hi Russel,

I hadn't forgotten about this.  It seems that the only solution would be to run an extension from the bedroom socket to the lounge to give the double points necessary.  All a bit of a pain I know.  Apparently to upgrade the flats for sky+ the bill was of the order of 17k.  I am not a technical bod but i guess sky+ needs two feeds one for the one you watch and one for the one you record.  If you never get the situation where there is a clash of programs and litterly just want to use the sky+ for its recording capability then I cant see why techinically it shouldnt work with just one, you just cant watch one channel while recording the other.  I guess it depends on what feature of the sky+ is more important to you.  If I find out any more info I will pass it on.

All the best
      Simon

imported_post

Simon,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

I have just received a response from the managing who say that, although the system in the block is set up for the standard sky service, some residents have paid for their individual flats to be upgraded by a sky engineer.

I think this is the best option for me, but your idea of running a cable from the bedroom socket is also a good one and I will look into that.

Thanks for your help,

Russ

imported_post

This has indeed come up before when Sky+ was first introduced and it is correct that you need a double-feed. The only way you can get the double-feed is:

1.  Get your own dish (which is a no go)
      2.  Get an additional feed through to your flat (impractical and VERY expensive as cabling would have to be routed somehow)
      3.  Re-route the bedroom feed into your lounge

I went for the nice and easy 3rd option (Sky+ not HD) and it works fine. I then have a video-sender to send the signal back into the bedroom which works fairly well.

imported_post

James,

Thanks for replying. I am looking at Sky HD and I understand from Sky it merely requires the same dual feed as the sky+ service (as I believe the HD service is transmitted along with the normal digital feed).

Diverting the cable from the bedroom does seem to be the simplest option.

Thanks for your help.

Russ

imported_post

Hi James,

How did you divert the feed from your room to the lounge as I would also like to have Sky+ installed?

The thought of a long cable running from the bedroom to the living room is ghastly.

Cheers,
      Damian.

imported_post

Hi

I have recently moved back in to Rainbow Quay after a 6 month sabbatical in Milton Keynes but thats another story.  In addition, I have only discovered this forum and think its great!

I upgraded to Sky + in April 2007 and you do indeed need two signals.  However, there is a simple 'box' that attaches to the wall that splits the incoming signal in to two and thus enables Sky +. No need for any cables to bedrooms or any of that nonsense. I have Sky + in the main room and normal Sky in the bedroon.  The only issues are:

1. Sometimes the signal strength is not 100% and you have to re-boot. You can also install an amplifier to help here.
      2. You need an unused satellite feed from the riser in your block. If they are being fully utilised you can't get it.

The guy who wired my up was Alan Kay (alan@cadleyclump.co.uk) and he charged £150 plus vat and £20 for the amplifier.

Some day the whole block will be upgraded no doubt but for the moment this is a viable option.

Hope this helps

Cheers

James
      1/4

imported_post

Hi James,

Welcome back – and to the forum.

The issue of our outdated communal satellite system has become even more pressing with the launch of HD, for which (if I understand it correctly) you also need two feeds, as for Sky+. I am not sure your solution is the way forward for all of us in the long term (it sounds like we would quickly be running out of unused feeds), but great that it works for you, pending the long overdue upgrade.

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

I am begining to think this may have to be looked at again.  Especially as the new Freesat http://www.freesat.co.uk/ service is offering HD programmes and a dual tuner recorder http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/ should be available later this year.  That said the upgrade cost is still very high and it would appear that demand is low.  I have also heared that there is apparently going to be away to use one feed but piggyback both signals down it.  I think until it becomes clear how well HD is going to be served and the demand / solutions to the dual feed sitiuation, then its probably worth just holding back until the last qtr of the year and take another look at it then.
      Regards

Simon
      6 / 97

imported_post

I think this is a sensible approach and I agree with it.

I am begining to think this may have to be looked at again.  Especially as the new Freesat http://www.freesat.co.uk/ service is offering HD programmes and a dual tuner recorder http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/ should be available later this year.  That said the upgrade cost is still very high and it would appear that demand is low.  I have also heared that there is apparently going to be away to use one feed but piggyback both signals down it.  I think until it becomes clear how well HD is going to be served and the demand / solutions to the dual feed sitiuation, then its probably worth just holding back until the last qtr of the year and take another look at it then.
      Regards

Simon
      6 / 97

imported_post

… but there is probably no harm in at least looking into the installation cost now. I am not an expert, but I think 'all' that is required is either an extra dish or a twin, so-called LNB on the existing dish, as well as some additional cabelling.

Apart from Freesat, Sky HD has been around for a couple of years already with some 15 HD channels, including BBC, Channel 4, Sky One, Sky Sports, Sky Movies, Sky Box Office, Sky Arts, National Geographic, Discovery and The History Channel.

These days, you cannot (or should not?) buy a non-HD TV, and it seems silly to be paying for something you cannot use. Also, you really need a dual feed for (harddisk) recording as VHS has been as good as phased out (you cannot find blank tapes anymore).

If we leave this for too long, I fear we risk private initiatives being taken by residents who may be unaware of the ban against individual dishes.

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

I think this is a sensible approach and I agree with it.

Regards

Simon
      6 / 97

Anonymous

On the subject of Communal Satellite System – but not HD – does anyone have problems with the feed of normal Sky lately?

Recently, i've been getting quite disrupted feeds from Sky – it works, but it sometimes jumps about. It's like getting a really bad feed on a very windy/rainy/gale storm day, but it's been beautiful weather the past few weeks, I don't think it's that.

Just seeing if anyone else are experiencing problems?

imported_post

Hello Fellow Residents

We have just moved in to Block 5.

Please could someone advise us

on whether we need to subscribe to the communal satellite system in order to get it.

whether we need any special equipment

what channels are covered.

Many thanks

Andrew

imported_post

Hi Andrew,

your options for the satellite system are to subscribe to sky or to purchase a freesat receiver http://www.freesat.co.uk/.

The benefits of freesat are that there is just a one off fee and no monthly subscription.  Interestingly enough Dixons are offering 10% of the list price of freesat boxes during July, check out the details here; http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/10-off-freesat-boxes-at-dixons

Hope that helps.

Regards
      Simon

imported_post

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Rainbow Quay and this forum.

You do not need to subscribe to the communal satellite system, which is paid for through the service charge, but you do need a satellite receiver (e.g. Sky or freesat) to make any use of it, as pointed out by Simon.

freesat will currently get you some 80 digital TV and radio channels, and Sky an awful lot more (potentially in the hundreds of channels, depending on your choice of package) in return for a monthly subscription fee.

Some residents use Freeview only (the necessary decoder is built into most current TV equipment), which gives you some 40 TV channels for free via the normal TV aerial, and even through some top-end indoor aerials. We ourselves tend to use Freeview as a backup during the not infrequent satellite dish outages (the most recent one lasted for some 24 hours from last Friday p.m. into Saturday p.m.).

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

Hi Andrew,

your options for the satellite system are to subscribe to sky or to purchase a freesat receiver http://www.freesat.co.uk/.

The benefits of freesat are that there is just a one off fee and no monthly subscription.  Interestingly enough Dixons are offering 10% of the list price of freesat boxes during July, check out the details here; http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/10-off-freesat-boxes-at-dixons

Hope that helps.

Regards
      Simon

Hello Fellow Residents

We have just moved in to Block 5.

Please could someone advise us

on whether we need to subscribe to the communal satellite system in order to get it.

whether we need any special equipment

what channels are covered.

Many thanks

Andrew

imported_post

Many thanks to Simon and Tom for those answers.

Regards

Andrew

imported_post

Hi,

I've noticed a reduction in sky reception.  For some reason its bbc1, bbc2, some of the +1 channels and i cant get ch5.  However the non sky feed (ie freeview) is no problem.  I first noticed the problem after a power cut where most of se london was affected, a few months ago.  Is it just my box or does the dish need inspecting?

Also looking for the answer to the Sky+ question.

Thanks,  Tim (7/101) 

imported_post

As I do not use the Satellite feed I am afraid I cannot comment on the degredation of service.

As to the Sky+ question, I am not sure what the question is, but I felt most of the questions regarding this had already been answered earlier on in this thread.

Regards
      Simon.

Anonymous

Tim,

I have had problems with most, if not all, BBC channels on Sky – other channels seem to be fine, incl Ch 5 and most +1 channels (at least those I watch!)

As previously mentioned in a post of mine, i noticed the degradation of these channels when there was a heavy gale wind a few months back. But its now reduced to “nothing” for the BBC channels (BBC1,2,3 and any BBC +1s). It doesnt seem to happen in Southwark (SE1) where my friends live, but they may well use a different feed altogether…

Does anyone have the same problem? I have been meaning to call Sky – but have never gone round to doing so, and if there is a real need to watch BBC 1 or 2, ill just switch to terrestrial…….

Edith
      5-101

Hi,

I've noticed a reduction in sky reception.  For some reason its bbc1, bbc2, some of the +1 channels and i cant get ch5.  However the non sky feed (ie freeview) is no problem.  I first noticed the problem after a power cut where most of se london was affected, a few months ago.  Is it just my box or does the dish need inspecting?

Also looking for the answer to the Sky+ question.

Thanks,  Tim 

imported_post

Is ther whole system down tonight – 10 Sept?  No satellite signal being received and Sky can't rectify it. Anyone else with problems?

imported_post

It appears to have gone off (yet again) in the west block at least. I have tried emailing Wood Management but it appears that Sharma has left (and she has dealt with this apparently recurring problem many many times).

I've called and given all the details, but nobody seemed to know who our property manager is (!). I mentioned Mark Tamuta who used to cover us, but he's now apparently area manager.

I wonder if they'll call me back as I requested … I suggested they email the user group to advise that the problem has been raised so that they do not get too many calls (I can't email it myself as I'm at work and not on my home email right now).

imported_post

Ok, I see that the new contact is noted on the site !  I've emailed Wayne also and will post any updates.

imported_post

We are in the West block, and this is just to confirm that we have also been without Sky reception since yesterday and that it was still off this morning.

The most recent outage of which I am aware was only some 8 weeks ago in July and, I believe, was caused by someone having removed a fuse somewhere.

It would be interesting to know what caused the current one.

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

FYI – I've spoken to agents again (they didn't return my call or email). Wayne has been out sick for a couple of days so hasn't responded to any emails (that's helpful …!).

Anyway, they have contacted the contractors and requested it be fixed by end of day tomorrow (Friday). Also, they have asked the property manager to look into the frequency of problems arising and to try to identify a solution.

I have suggested that they notify the email group when actions such as this are taken with the resolution so that everybody on it is kept up to date (and people know the issue has been raised).

J.

imported_post

Hi,

I called the agents this morning and was told that the contractors have been contacted, as mentioned, but they will most likely only be able to attend to it tomorrow (Saturday). If not tomorrow then Monday.

It’s a pretty poor service from them given the service charges paid.

Cheers, Damo.

imported_post

Thank goodness I'm going to be out of town for the weekend !  I have never known service as bad as that we seen to receive on the communal system maintenance.

imported_post

I/we could not agree more with the last two posts on this topic – for those of us who rely on the satellite system for our TV reception, and due to the poor analogue signal (when at least that is functioning), it basically means still (and yet again…) no TV access several days on.

With the chunky 4-figure sum that we plow into “aerial maintenance” 😀 each year, perhaps now is the time for us to finally take our communal system into the 21st century.

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

Anonymous

Has anyone sighted the contractors today or is it not working for the week-end?

Anonymous

On Saturday 13th September, two lots of engineers attanded in the morning to sort out the satellite system in the West block. The reason for the delay in their attending was that the email of Ward Aerials was out of action on Wednesday and when Woods found out, they called another engineer just to make sure.
      Anyway, the verdict was that one of the amplifier/splitters which serves all the blocks had expired and had to be replaced. Unfortunately this will probably not be available until Wednesday17th. So the system will have been out of action for seven days.
      The system originally installed is apparently at the limit of its capacity and therefore a touch vulnerable. Your directors and representatives will be considering whether any upgrading should be done and will report to the AGM in November.
      I have made a separate posting about the availability of sky plus
      :-

imported_post

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, Damo.

imported_post

Hear-hear – thank you very much for dealing with this, Chris.

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

It looks as though Sky is back on. Wahey ! Thanks for sorting Chris.

imported_post

OK. A premature comment. There is still a problem on some channels and this cannot be fixed until roof access is gained which requires a cherry picker to be hired. They hope to have this fixed within a few days to a week …

imported_post

Hi James,

What is the rough scale of the problem in terms of number of channels, please, and are we still e.g. without news coverage?

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

Hi Tom

I'm afraid I don't know (I'm not at home to check on my Sky). All I know is what Wayne at the managing agents said – it's something to do with 4 feeds from the dish and one of them has failed. So it means that all channels on that feed are off. I have been told by my partner and my neighbour that it appears to be the pay channels (movies specifically). I can't really give you any more than that.

J.

imported_post

Thank you very much, James – that is extremely helpful, and good news all in all.

imported_post

Hi all,

I must comment again on how great this forum is to keep up to date with this sort of thing.

Many of the channels are working, but many still aren't. It does look like it's mainly sky's own channels (as James mentioned) which are sky 2/3, sky movies, a lot of the sports channels along with the discovery channels.

One of us is very happy as it looks like there won't be any sport and a lot of Grays Anatomy / Desperate Houswives – doh!

Thank you all for your help on this.

Cheers, Damo.

imported_post

Hi guys

Yes – many of the sports channels are not working. We do need to get this issue resolved permanently as I find it unacceptable that we're without a service we pay monthly for a minimum of a week and we still do not have a resolution date. For sports fans we have missed out on a number of major events and it would seem like the Ryder Cup is now debateable this weekend.  Why does it take a week to get a cherry picker?  And what formal arrangement is in place to maintain and support the communal dish. We are forced to use it (no single dishes etc which I entirely agree with) but when something like this happens we need it resolved and resolved quickly and not a sob story about broken email, booked up contractors and access. I'm not particularly interested in the reasons why someone can't do something. I will take this up with the directors and Wood Management and let you know how I get on tomorrow.   

imported_post

Hi everyone

I have phoned Wayne Savage three times (9.00,12.00,14.30) today and emailed him also but have had no response.

Is everyone aware that Wood Management now have put a call centre between residents and the property manager (Wayne?) and that there is a 48hr response time i.e. he technically does not have to get back to me before Monday morning if he so desires. The call centre operatives won't give you his details (mobile etc) so we are entirely dependent on when he so wishes to address the problem. 

I will continue my efforts to get an update.

Thanks

James

imported_post

Hi Everyone,

First I share your frustrations with the loss of sky and here is what I have managed to find out from speaking to Wayne today. 
      The engineer who attended site fixed the initial problem but found that the wiring for the premium services has failed.  This needs to be refitted at the roof mounting and this requires the hire of a 35m Cherry Picker.  This is a specialist piece of equipment and unfortunately cannot be hired at the drop of a hat.  Obviously there is a time lag between when the engineer called and when the fault was reported and solution decided.  I am told that the Cherry Picker will be on site Sunday as this was the earliest that one could be acquired.  Going forward an access point in the roof will be put in so that future faults do not require the use of a cherry picker. 
      I will bring up the response time on this issue at the next board meeting as the feed upgrade will be discussed.
      Regards
      Simon.

imported_post

Thanks for your efforts Simon

Wayne rang me back also and confirmed it will finally be resolved on Sunday. He too is aware of the frustrations and welcomes any moves (access point) that will help moving forward.

Regards

James

imported_post

Although probably evident from the lack of recent posts to the contrary, just to confirm that all Sky services appear to have been restored as of yesterday (Sunday), with my warm thanks to all involved in achieving this – and in now looking at solutions going forward.

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

Hi all

Was there any action decided in the AGM regarding the upgrade of the system? I'm contemplating getting SKY+ (SKY offers a compelling package with phone line, broadband and SKY which works out cheaper than BE Internet, BT Phone line and no SKY) but I won't do it if I have to go through the hassle of having cables run across the whole flat (also, the wife will never approve of it)..

Any news welcome!

D

imported_post

We have had a site survey carried out and have got a quote in for the upgrade work.  The two jobs are to upgrade the outputs on the dishes so that the whole development gets a full strength signal and the second job is to introduce spare capacity into each stairwell.

Each flat then has the option of either continuing the spare capacity into their flats or using a stacker to piggy back the signal from the spare feed on to the existing feed.  The cost for this option is around £160.

I think the upgrade work will probably begin in the not too distant future and I may be able to give you a better idea of dates, come next week.

Hope that answers your question.
      All the best
      Simon.

imported_post

;D ;D ;D

That's fantastic news! Thanks very much for the prompt reply!

Cheers
      Dennis

imported_post

I haven't forgotten to update on this.  The managing agent has been on Holiday for the last two weeks.  As soon as he has caught up with things I shall get him to confirm a date for the upgrade.
      All the best
      Simon.

imported_post

Hi Simon

Just checking to see if there's been any movement on this in the last few weeks…?

Cheers
      Dennis

imported_post

Hi Dennis, I am sorry things are not moving along more quickly. 
      The work has been cleared, the contractor is just waiting for the upfront part of the payment to purchase all the equipment.  Once he has all the parts he will then book the cherry picker and do the roof equipment first.  I got an email from them yesterday saying that they were still waiting for payment from the managing agent.
      He said he will email me once he has all the parts.  As soon as I have this I will update with a start date. 
      There is always a delay between work getting the go ahead from the board and it being actioned by the managing agent.  I do keep on at them but apparently they have been busy.

imported_post

Thanks Simon – Just wanted to check on the progress  8)

(have been running with SKY+HD for a month now and the wife is so impressed by the picture quality she forgot to moan about the cabling!)

imported_post

I know this has taken an age but the easter break, equipment being out of stock and booking the 34 meter cherry picker has all conspired against us.  I hope I am not speaking to soon but pending email confirmation (fingers crossed) the cherry picker should be booked for Friday 8th May to carry out the dish alighment and LNB upgrade.  Once this stage is completed the wiring for the capacity upgrade will commence some time not too long after.
      All the best
      Simon.

Update 8th May is confirmed.

imported_post

Thank you very much for the update and for your efforts with this, Simon – sounds good!

I always assumed we had roof access through a couple of stairwells, but perhaps this job requires a cherry picker in any event.

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

Thanks Simon for all your hard work on this.

Pls continue to keep us updated.

Stuart

imported_post

Simon

Just a couple of questions that hopefully you can clarify.

Will this work enable all flats within the two buildings to receive Sky HD?

Do we have an agent who works on our behalf for Sky requests or should we go direct to sky for the equipment?

Thanks in advance

Paul

imported_post

All flats can currently receive sky HD.  There may be some where the signal strength is a little low and it may effect quality.  The upgrade is to ensure quality is high enough through out the development.  The second stage of the upgrade is to increase the capacity to each stairwell to allow a dual feed.  At the moment the ability to view one channel and record another is dependant on the channels in question.  Dual feed will mean there is no limit to the channels that may be viewed while another is recorded.
      All Sky subscriptions need to be sorted out directly with Sky, who will then provide the equipment, as far as I am aware.
      Please do ask away if you have any other questions.
      All the best
      Simon.

imported_post

Thanks Simon that clarifies it.

Cheers

Paul

imported_post

The work to the distribution system has started.  The engineer is visiting each stairwell in turn and adding additional feeds and checking the existing system.  Work has started first in the East block.  There may be short disruptions in signal during the day as the work is taking place.  I will update again when all work is completed.  In the interim if anybody wishes to go down the signal stacker route to allow multi channel recording it might be a good idea to get in touch, so the engineer can kill two birds with one stone.

All the best
      Simon.

imported_post

Great news, Simon – thank you.

If we do want to go down the signal stacker route, does the engineer need access to our flat (and, if so, for what) or can the work be completed in our absence?

I am not quite sure what is involved in practice and how we would connect up to a dual feed if all we are doing is piggy-backing the signal from the spare feed on to the existing feed. Do we need a signal splitter or an additional wall socket?

Also, will the cost come out at the approx. £160 originally estimated, please, and would we contact the engineer direct to have this done or someone else?

Finally, we do not have HD equipment (or subscription) yet, so what if we wait? Would it be much more difficult or costly to sort out at a later date, and is there a possibility that individual stairwells might run out of spare capacity?

All your work with this is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

Hi Tom, as far as I am aware the signal stacker option saves on extra internal wiring.  Using this option will combine the existing feed with new extra feed that is being installed.  Prior to the upgrade work the only option was to hope you had a spare feed in your riser cupboard.  This work will mean all risers have spare feeds.  The stacker option means less work as no extra flatside internal wiring is necessary. 
      This work is not specific to HD as it has always been possible to get an HD signal if you have the equipment.  There is no issue with regards to leaving this until another date.  I was just putting it out there so if there were people who were double keen to get multi channel recording up and running we could sort it out sonner rather than later.
      As an aside I recently went down the Freesat route and I am quite suprised just how many multichannel recording options there are despite only having one sat feed. 
      Hope that helps.
      Regards
      Simon

imported_post

Thank you, Simon.

So, if I understand it correctly; two feeds are stacked in the riser cupboard and routed through the existing wiring into the flat, where the signal will then be de-stacked at your TV point, allowing for the connection of two coax cables to a dual-tuner satellite TV receiver?

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

That sounds good to me – I currently have the extra bedroom feed rerouted into my lounge so I have two feeds that way … but having two feeds at both points would allow for multi-room.

I'd like to try and do this – but am still unsure on how this destacking works at the aeriel points within the flat (do we just plug something between the wall socket and the box that splits the signal to two feeds …. or does the engineer need to get in and do something technical that would be lost on me ?).

imported_post

Tom you are correct.  Here is a technical schematic of how it works.

http://tinyurl.com/olbkvy.

James, this option will free up your spare socket so you will be able to have multi-room.  If you fitted two stackers you could then have multi-channel view / record in each room.

Hope that clarifies things.

If you wish to get in contact with Alan Kay the sat. engineer, let me know and I will email you his details.

All the best
      Simon

imported_post

Hello!

I'm keen to get this done, so could you please email me the details? I believe my contact details are on file at this forum…

Cheers
      Dennis

imported_post

Hi, just to confirm, does Sky+ work now. Sky tells me it does but want to make sure before I buy the box. Would also like to package up with phone and internet. I remamber trying to get Sky broadband a while ago and they said it did not work in our area.

imported_post

Hi Ben,

If you get the stacker put in Sky+ works perfectly. I have the Sky+, phone and broadband package.

Cheers, Damo.

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.