Home Forums General Discussion Pavement works

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      imported_post

It looks to me like parts of the paving in South Sea Street along the East Block are currently being replaced with tarmac. If, as I suspect, this work is subsidence related, the way I believe it has been dealt with successfully in the past has been to dig up the paving, apply a layer of cement or concrete, and then relay the original paving on top. I would be very sad indeed to see the whole building (or any part of it, for that matter) surrounded by random patches of asphalt…!

Does anyone know more about this, please?

Tom
      10, 2 RQ

imported_post

It is even worse than I feared as almost the whole of the pavement at the South Sea Street end has now been tarmacked, and not very elegantly either! It plainly looks horrible, and there is nothing to suggest it is not meant as a permanent 'solution'.

imported_post

Hi Tom, it is the councils permanent solution.  They haven't finished it yet as it should be a nice shade of red when its all done and dusted.  I am afraid its a by product of tree roots, trip hazards and austerity.  I believe the board are due to have a discussion about the works to RQ land this evening.

imported_post

Thank you very much, Simon – yes, the red'ish top layer would appear to have been applied this morning and, I suppose, is a slight improvement over the uneven, rough tarmac which must then have been a primer layer only. However, I sincerely hope they are not going to work their way 'round the whole building with a similar solution, as it would mean a complete change in the whole character of the place, and not for the better in my opinion. I look forward to hearing the Board's views.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.